Re: [IP] Soon 2B Pumping

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Laurie Wann wrote:
> Brian's MM 508 came last week - and he can't wait to get started.
> At 4, he is the youngest child they have ever put on a pump.  At our
> last endo visit, I asked whether she thought we might need to dilute the
> H - she didn't think so, but I'm curious what other parents have
> experienced.  Brian is about 45" tall and weighs 44 lbs.
She's probably right.

> I also asked her what Velosulin was - she had never heard of it.  I have
A buffered regular insulin -- buffer is formulated for use in pumps

> Oh - and one other thing (sorry this is so long)...Has anyone had any
> experience with the MM Sports Guard?  It is supposed to be waterproof
> to 10 feet, and I thought it would perfect for Brian at the beach (we
> live on a lake and spend many long summer days near the water).
My daughter spends a month each year at Tahoe. She takes her pump off
while at the beach and puts it back on to bolus and adjust bg's

> But our
> MM rep cautioned against going into water with an IV site in place.

Baloney. Lily has been on swim team, skin diving, Tahoe swimming (and
other lakes) river running in tubes, etc..... never had a problem

>  He sent us a free Sports Guard anyway, but didn't really >
recommend using it.
It works OK, just remember to put some petroleum jelly around the lip.
Might be just the thing for a 4 yo. When swimming in COLD water, he will
probably need much less insulin -- watch for lows.