Re: [IP] Weighing food for carb counting

I think the point about the bread had less to do with the size of the slices
(although that will certainly affect the carb count) and more to do with the
fact that if you read the labels, one slice of bread can have anything from
12 - 25 carbs.  This is true even if the bread doesn't have stuff like
raisins and nuts in it.  The nutrition labels are required to give the gram
weight of whatever they are calling 1 serving, so a scale helps you figure
out what carbs you should count if you (or Paddy) wants to eat a
non-standard amount.

In your pookiebeans example, the nutrition label probably says something
like serving size: 1c (40 g), and farther down it says how many carbs are in
that amount (15, in your example).  If you use a scale, you'd pour the
amount you want to eat and weigh it, find out how many grams of pookies
we're talking (for example, 90 g), and use the 15/40 = x/90 ratio formula to
figure out how many g. of carb to count.  If I remember my 4th grade math
correctly, it comes out to x = 33.7 which rounds to 34 g. of carb to count.

Of course, I haven't a clue what pookiebeans are, so the numbers are just an
example, not to be relied on.  You don't have to have a scale to count
carbs, it just is that for some foods in non-standard amounts, it makes the
figuring easier.

As always, YMMV.

Kathy Trondsen