Re: [IP] Xrays and pump

This is very similar to the issue of whether someone can Xray a
laptop computer or not...  The people at the airports CLAIM it's
safe, but here's the other side of the story!

Computers, and the pump, usually are made of CMOS ciruitry, which is
static sensitive.  X rays are IONIZING RADIATION, which can cause
what is being X-ray'ed to develop static electricity charges.  I once
had a attache case with a metal band around it - which would zap me
right after being Xrayed, from the charges developed during the Xray.

Since circuits can develop static charges when X-rayed, there are some
things that the manufacturer can do to design their circuits to avoid this
threat.  They can design all CMOS circuits to have some kind of a resistive
discharge path, to hopefully prevent static charge buildups.  But, you are
totally dependent upon the manufacturer to HOPE they designed their
equipment right - but some don't.

Although the chances are slim for computers or pumps to get zapped when
Xrayed, I know of at least 4 cases where CMOS equipment was damaged or
destroyed when being Xrayed.  One happened to me during a business trip,
and I know of two other cases that happened to others I know, as well as
another guy whose computer controled handheld radio was damaged.   It does
happen.  Just because someone's somputer has survived an Xray, doesn't
mean it will always work for everyone.  Don't take chances, even though
the Xray folks *think* it's safe.

Lastly, and most curiously.....  HOW would someone run their pump through
an Xray machine?  Unless you disconnect the pump from the infusion
set, you can't do it easily!  However, I would not fear running the
pump through a metal detector - no ionizing radiation there.