> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Kidney-pancreas transplant.
> Check out Insulin-Free World for lots of info about K-P transplants.  Deb
> Butterfield, the Exec. Dir., had one about 10 years ago and is doing
> Yes, she's insulin-free.  Here's a link  <A
> er.htm</A> .  Also, you should read her book Showdown with Diabetes for
> whole story of her life as a diabetic (now former diabetic - don't you
> love that term former diabetic!)
> Stacey

In case this was directed at me since I'm the one with testing in progress
to get listed, Deb is on another list like this one for KPTXs that I am on.
I have been a member of that list since 8/99. I was told by my first neph in
'94 that I should investigate all I could about it because I would be
needing it. I went to the U of MIch. in Ann Arbor for a second opinion in
'96. They told me it would be 2-6 years and I would be tx'd. These are
*educated* guesses.

Several on the KPTX list are encouraging me as we are encouraging Charisma.
I remember taking a whole year to decide if I wanted a pump. One of the
hardest things I ever did was insert that first practice needle knowing it
wasn't coming out for 3 days. That was 16.5 years ago.  I really, really, do
not want to go on dialysis though I may not have a choice. After I'm listed
it may be 1-3 years before I get the *real* call. Many advances and new
antirejection drugs have come about in the last 10 years.

A man who visits our church often has had a dual tx, as well as the husband
of one of my nurses who gives me my bi-weekly EPO injections. They highly
recommend it.

Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)