[IP] Educating others (was insurance coverage)

In a message dated 2/22/00 1:59:43 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< "The more education, the more stupid a people becomes"  someone said that,
 just not sure who, missed that part of my education, however, my point is
 what happened to good old fashioned common sense.
 We (parents) of child with D, you with D are educating insurance companies,
 schools, endos, friends, employers, nurses, other medical personnel and the
 list goes on and on.
  Yet, each person dealing w/ D, has to go in and educate, each and every
 I know for a fact, there are others with D using the same ins co, school,
 endo etc. and as we hang up the phone or walk out the door, they are calling
 or coming in and having to educate.  >>

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, but I must:

First of all, the quote is more like, "The more you know, the more you
realize you don't know."

Second -- how much did you know about DM before you or somebody in your
family got it? How much do you know about cystic fibrosis? Or multiple
schlerosis? How much more do you know about DM by having it in your lives
24/7 than somebody who who has only "book knowledge" about it?

We can't expect everybody to know everything about DM. How it affects us as
individuals (and you can see the individual differences every day on this
list), what it's like to actually live with it, how a hypo feels, what it
feels like to run consistently high BGs, what it feels like emotionally to
live on a schedule or have to stick our fingers, always figure out what's in
our food, etc.?

I believe it's up to each of us to continue educating others -- gently and
without anger -- so that more people will understand that DM is a complicated
and individual disease, and to realize that not everybody else -- including
health care practitioners -- have the somewhat dubious "benefit" of our
personal knowledge.

Jan (and Elvis)