[IP] EMLA numbing cream

Has anyone else used EMLA cream?  My diabetes educator let me try it
during my second insertion.  I was complaining how I felt every centimeter
and chickened out.  She said that she's used it in the hospital when making
insertion sites for children.  I usually use about a pearl size of cream.  I
cut large ziploc bags into 2 inch squares.  tape the 2 inch square onto the
cream and smooth the cream out to about a quarter size.  It must stay on for
about 30 minutes.  After the thirty minutes the site will be completely numb
for hours.  The feeling usually comes back the next day.  My insurance pays
for it and I'm still using my first tube.  So far its been 3 months.

My only problem is that I have spots for each site that I've used in the past
three months.  Does anyone else have this problem?  What can be used to fade
the spots?