[IP] Cheers to Charisma!

Cheers to Charisma!
I've been meaning to write this email for the past several days, but
haven't got around to it.  Tonight I was skimming my IP digests, and I read
Charisma's post from this morning, and decided I really should write it NOW.

Since you have joined the list, you have "listened" so well and are
learning so much.  You keep questions coming, and try to absorb everything.
 I admire many parents on this list (Renee, Michael, Becky, Darlene, Sandy,
Steve, Curtis, and there are so many others I can't even begin to list
them) but you have brought this to my mind.  You are all doing so much.
And even though we might not always (or regularly or sometimes or even know
it) express it, it means so much to us kids.  A huge cyber hug to all of you!

In high school, this poem was hung up by the swimming pool (I was on the
swim team) by our coaches.  I don't have a copy of it, so I might not have
it entirely right, but I have it more or less memorized because I like it
so much.

We, the willing, lead by the unknowing
Are doing the impossible for the ungrateful

We have done so much for so long with so little
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing

We are all willing to do what we can to help ourselves (our kids) with
sometimes the only guide is idiot doctors who are stuck in the "old
school".  We struggle so hard to perform as beta cells, and our bodies only
acknowledgement of this is it sometimes does not suscum to any one of the
pethora of complications diabetes can cause.

On the list, you have a tendency to see the bad more proportionately to the
good.  I did not wake up this morning and say, "Oh good, my site looks
great, it seems to be absorbing well, and there are no signs of infection.
I don't really see any bubbles.  My batteries are working.  I haven't had
any weird alarms.  And my blood sugar is 131 even with eating a bag of
popcorn while watching ER last night."  If I woke up this morning, my site
was all infected (which had never happened to me, knock on wood), there was
a 4 inch bubble in my tubing (which has never happened, I've nevered had a
bubble problem... knocking some more), I am having a low battery alarm, my
pump is beeping and giving me error messages that are not in my manual, and
my blood sugar is too high to read on my meter- I would probably vent to
the list.

To be who you are and become what you are capable of is the only goal worth
living.  -Alvin Ailey