Re: Subject: [IP] Newly Diagnosed Family needs advice

> My (then) 9 year old went on the pump 7 months after diagnosis,
> while still in honeymoon.  I came across her first logbook the other
> day, laughed a little at the basal rates of 0.2 and 0.3 units per
> hour.  I think a newly dx'ed newbie would need to keep in mind that
> their basals and boluses will change more as honeymoon ends, but
> other than that, I think the sooner, the better.

Let me add to that... learning to manage the pump, basal rates,
etc.... is much easier with the pancreas still helping a little.
Small mistakes in levels are absorbed easily since the body still can
turn some insulin production on and off as necessary. Lily's
adjustment period was fairly easy compared to some of the problems
encountered later as she truly entered adolescense and the honeymoon
was long over with.