Re: [IP] Newly Diagnosed Family needs advice

> Our friends know a little about Jackies pump and wanted to know if
> they should talk to their endo immediately about it.  My
> recommendation was to learn how to comfortably give shots etc...
> (for a back up), master carb counting and then YES!  Their daughter
> is 10 and a perfect candidate (very responsible, proactive...).
> Is there anyone that has had experience with going on a pump very
> soon after diagnosis?  Anyone else have an opinion on this
> issue---silly question to this list (vbg).

Lily was dx'd at 11, a couple of days after her birthday in July. She
was pumping in mid December. The reason it took so long was because
we did not know pumps existed until late August, took until November
to find a doc that would prescribe the pump for her. It also took 18
more months to get the insurance company to pay the bill.

I agree that it is important for your friend's daughter to learn to
give her own shots, but a couple of months of the routine should be
adequate I would think.