[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #956

"Are there any medical doctors associated with these HMOs???  Don't they
know that most people on insulin pumps are also on humalog??

To All,
I am the father of a diabetic child as well as a physician. I have
experienced the frustration of being a health care consumer in trying to
get authorization for my newly diagnosed son to see an endocrinologist,
getting the insurance company to approve the pump as well as every other
blessed thing associated with state of the art diabetes care. To make
matters worse, I am a provider for this insurance company.
In general, authorizations are made by nurses, not physicians. It is the
primary responsibility of the company to say NO to everything. At that
point a large percentage of people accept the NO and go away, leaving
the company victorious. Forget about doing the right thing for the
patient. It's all about making money. Increasing premiums and deny care
is the equation for increasing profits.
We as patients and physicians must stay together and demand the care
that we are paying for. NEVER take No for an answer.
G-d bless all of you.