[IP] Bill in MN leg-Islet Cell Transplants

Just received this month's Diabetes Forecast and it has an article on Islet
Cell Transplants and it mentions Dr. Hering from the U of Minn. I heard him
speak on Feb. 14 about his research and how close they are to success with

There is a bill in the Minn. state legislature  (still in committee, senate
bill #3317, House bill #3384), that the MN chapter of JDF is sponsoring, for
a 10 million
dollar funding for Islet Cell Transplants. This is for Dr. Hering's
transplant research program. This money will be coming out of the Tobacco
Settlement Lawsuit Trust Fund interest, the interest  part of the lawsuit
ONLY. This  WILL NOT raise your taxes. Right now they can only do 10
transplants a year, if this bill is passed they can do 50 a year. Without
this money it will take 10 years to do this research instead of 2 years.

I am encouraging everyone in the state of Minnesota to write their Minn.
state senator and Minn. state rep. (the ones that work at the state capital
in St. Paul) about this bill and ask for the full 10 million dollars. You or
your child don't have to have diabetes to write on behalf of this bill, you
only have to live in the state of Minn. If you have a child with diabetes,
and live in the state of Minn., tell your state senator and state rep. what
a day is like for your child, and send their picture with it. The picture
gives them a face to look at. This NEEDS to be done NOW. To find out who
your senator or rep. is in  the Minn. legislature, the web site is
www.leg.state.mn.us go to General Information, then Precinct Finder. They
will be voting on this bill in committee SOON. We need all the help we can
get. My husband and I both went to see our senator and rep. on this issue
last Monday.

Deborah mom to Eve 12.5
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99