[IP] A serious question

email @ redacted wrote:
> I think the media needs to stop "sugarcoating" (sorry about that)
> diabetes. They need to stop making people believe it's just a lifestyle
> problem.

OK, this is a serious question that I've never been able to find a
satisfactory answer to:

How do you balance
1. needing to make people understand that diabetes is a VERY serious
illness, which requires vigilance and accommodations

2. eliminating discrimination based on perception of diabetes as a
handicapping condition?

In the case of illnesses such as cystic fibrosis, or cerebral palsy,
(just to cite 2 other childhood diseases), it's very clear that the
disease IS handicapping, and people's hearts go out to those children.
But these children do not grow into a vocal group of adults who demand
the right to fly airplanes!

It seems to me that the Supreme court has struggled with just such
issues in terms of the ADA -- and did not come to a satisfactory

On the one hand, you want your children to have as "normal" a childhood
as possible, which includes being allowed to do everything every OTHER
child does, but on the other hand, you want people to feel sorry for
your child and therefore donate lots of money for a cure. But children
who look and act "normal" don't get the pity response that obviously
handicapped children do.

Organizations that have gotten the public behind them, like Jerry Lewis'
Telethons, rely HEAVILY on that pity response (and some parents of
children with muscular dystrophy resent that!) -- and it seems like most
diabetics DON'T want that.

So where's the balance, and what are the goals?

(Taking no sides and having no preconceived notions!)
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted