[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #952

-----Original Message-----
From:	insulin-pumpers-digest [SMTP:email @ redacted]
Sent:	Wednesday, February 23, 2000 2:54 PM
To:	email @ redacted
Subject:	insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #952

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:26:50 -0500
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Too Old?
.  "Too old for JD, too
young for Type 2; too heavy for Type 1, too light for Type 2" according to
the doctors there - so my official diagnosis was "Type 1 1/2".

When I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes at the age of 44, after a
vicious viral infection, my doctor, Dr.Stephen Bookins in Portland Oregon,
said it was rare, but I was definitely JD, Type 1, because I arrived at the
hosptal in DKA and a bg of 1208, semi-conscious.   My doctor here in
Alabama tried to treat me as type 2 with pills and such, because I fit the
type so perfectly,  (female, fat and over forty) but he soon realized I
must be Type 1 because of spilling keytones and the pills did not work.
  No known diabetes in blood relations.  I was told that spilling keytones
is what makes the difference.  But, since there is such wide variety of
information, and no absolute definition that AMA has come out with (is
there?) I guess we have to go with whatever work.

I have run across similar stories on this list of "older" folks being
diagnosed with Type 1 at a much later age, and younger folks being
diagnosed with Type 2 on MDI.

Who knows for sure and does it really matter?

 of ketoacidosis