Re: [IP] pump for gestational

At 2:35 PM -0800 2/23/00, Sandi Pope wrote:

>negativity when we've been dealing with shots,
>tremendous swings, etc for 8 1/2 years with two kids
>starting at age 2. So, my question to all of you: is
>this a common thing to put a pregnant woman the pump
>who has gestational?

Hi Sandi,

I don't know how common it is to put a woman with GD on a pump, but I do
know that the majority of GD patients are treated with diet and exercise.
The other thing to remember is that GD is related to Type II DM, which is a
completely different animal than Type 1 in mnay respects. She is dealing
with insulin resistance, your kids aren't. Your kids are dealing with wild
swings in BG, she is probably not. Plus, since she was only dx'd 3 months
ago, she hasn't had much (if any) time on MDI with its downsides.

I'd be curious to hear what she considers negative about the pump. My
udnerstanding is that very few people, once they've tried one, don't like
pumping. Of course, it's a very personal decision. :-)

FWIW, having had DM for 27 years and pumping for 4.5, if (heaven forbid)
either of my kids came down with DM, I'd be looking into pump therapy

Good luck,

(Type I, 27 years, D. pumper since 10/95)