Re: [IP] non-obesity and children

The issue about type 2 diabetes in children bothers me also. When Rachel was
diagnosed she was almost 9 and weighed 51 lbs. Definitely not a weight issue,
but people still don't understand how serious this is. Most figure she can
just take a pill and watch her diet and exercise and all is well. No one
really gets too "heavy" on the long term complications that are associated
with diabetes. I think the public has been led to believe that with
treatment, diabetes isn't a serious problem. Well, my question is this ...
how many of us parents who get up every night checking bg's, and have kids
call several times when sleeping over at someone else's house, have hearts
that sink when you look at your child sleeping peacefully knowing full well
that all is not fine?  Yes, I wonder every day what is around the corner of
my daughter's life. I wake up at night and my thoughts turn to her and how I
wish it were me and not her. When I see her tiny calloused fingers, my heart
breaks. I think the media needs to stop "sugarcoating" (sorry about that)
diabetes. They need to stop making people believe it's just a lifestyle

Mom to Rachel, 12