[IP] FYI - potassium in ME - not others

> I have been told that it takes 6 to 12 hours for the ketones to go away
> after a ketone sort of day and that I need more carbs.  I snack on
> Graham crackers which have a high carb rate.  Bananas are the best to
> rid myself of ketones because they are also high in carbs plus, the
> potassium doesn't hurt.

Just a tidbit here for anyone who may not know. With my kidney function
(23%) I am on a limited-potassium intake. I have not had a whole banana
since 8/1/94 - a few pieces in a salad, yes. It's tooooo hard to give up
potatoes at this point, but we keep a watch on my potassium level with blood
tests every three months. So far I am staying in the *normal* range. The
reason being: Toxins and wastes are flushed out through the kidneys.
Potassium regulates heart rate - too much can cause heart attack. The extra
potassium is not peed out in me. AND, melons, oranges, tomatoes, corn on the
cob, and lots of others summer goodies are on the *WATCH IT!!!* list.
(  This is MY Rx'd treatment for ESRD.  Quinine pills have been Rx'd for
leg/foot cramps when Lasix rids me of too much water retention.

Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)