[IP] DKA - coma

> it takes hours to lapse into coma. Usually vomiting, stomach
> cramps & extreme fatigue preceed this. Often this coma is
> how diabetes is initially diagnosed.

I gotta disagree here. The discription above is DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis).
Coma is PAST the fatigue, vomiting, cramping stage. My eyes rolled into the
back of my head, very shallow breathing, and loss of consciousness. Coma is
the step before death.  I have heard others describe their DKA episodes as
*comas.* Not so.

Jan (dx'd in coma 11/5/50 when dr. ignored even in ER and diff. dr. brought
in - hosp. stay lasted 15 days)