Re: [IP] insurance questions- cobra, self-employment

In a message dated 2/21/00 10:57:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

We are self employed and have health insurance through an employee-leasing
program.  Essentially, they do our payroll. We lease ourselves (and
employees) back to our company, and we belong to the payroll service's group.
 By being part of their group, we are able to buy good health ins coverage at
reasonable cost, with no pre-existing conditions clause.  We were able to
start this way when we were three employees (myself, my husband, and a
part-time secretary).

<< There is also
 something else called the HIPAA act which is Health Ins. Portability and
 Accountability Act  >>

I tried several times under this to obtain private health insurance (not
affiliated with an employer or organization).  All the act does is make it
illegal for  an insurance company to refuse to insure you.  Therefore, they
were happy to comply and offer me policies that did not cover Rxs in the
neighborhood of $800/month for family coverage.  Way out of my price range.

Hope this helps some,