Re: [IP] sick days/ketones

Julie,

I have been having the same problem.  I ended up with large amounts of
ketones yesterday with bg of 267, with ketones stauying with me
throughout the day.  I hate that sick ketone feeling.  I get the bg down
to 107 and I still have ketones.  Right now my bg is 50 and my ketones
are small to moderate.  I am eating a banana as I type.

I have been told that it takes 6 to 12 hours for the ketones to go away
after a ketone sort of day and that I need more carbs.  I snack on
Graham crackers which have a high carb rate.  Bananas are the best to
rid myself of ketones because they are also high in carbs plus, the
potassium doesn't hurt.

To help with the bg, I raise my bolus rate 10 to 20% and definitely
check the bg to make sure I don't hit 50. (vbg)

Of course, feeling sick like this, I will stay home but ketones do not
keep me home unless I am throwing up or just feeling SICK.  I just make
sure I have bottled water and crackers with me if I do go to work.

I am sorry that you are going through this but just know that you are
not alone.

Virginia
Type 1 for 37 years, pumping 4 months