Re: [IP] Bloodsugar 500

In a message dated 2/22/00 7:46:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< It did take longer than
 expected though, is the body more resistant when that high? >>
Yes, the body is more resistent when high.  Along with my ratio of 1 unit to
50 pts, I add 1 unit for every 100 pts over target.  Seems to be about right
for me.  So if I am 300, I would take 4 units to get back to 100 and another
2 units for the resistance. Also take into consideration when the last bolus
was and how much of that is still going to be working.  Often times I add the
2 units for the resistance to a temp basal so all the insulin doesn't hit at
once.  Coming down fast can feel like crashing.  And of course monitor
closely as you have been so you can correct either way if needed.

The sleepiness is an overwhelming symptom when that high.  I have had times
that I've had to pull my car over to the side of the road and inject R and
sleep 30 min. in the middle of the day (when on MDI). That is one probably
the one thing I most like about pumping, I'm not exhausted all the time now
that my bgs are more often in the normal range.

Love reading your posts, your instincts are almost always right on target.

Best wishes to you both,