Re: [IP] Please forgive me if I offend, but...

In a message dated 2/23/00 10:56:20 AM, email @ redacted writes:

> Since every living person on
>earth requires insulin, whether by natural pancreatic function or
>subcutaneous delivery, it is not a medicine. It is a natural hormone.

Jan, since I have probably been guilty of describing insulin as medicine to
children, too, although I am not really offended :-) I will add my opinion.

Websters defines "medicine" as "a substance or preparation used in treating
disease"  and defines disease as "a condition of the living animal or plant
body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning".  By these
definitions, which seem to me to be the normally understood ones, it seems to
me that diabetes is a disease, and insulin a medicine.  I guess they must be
in some way "loaded words" for some people, but, heck, I never even minded
being called a diabetic, so these things must just wash right over me.

Linda Z