[IP] Please forgive me if I offend, but...

> This past weekend I worked a camp.  The first night, one of the little
> boys (he was 5 years old, in kindergarten, and his first time away
> from home) <snip> I explained to him that I have diabetes, and I need
> a little bit of medicine all of the time and extra medicine when I eat.
> My pump gives me the medicine I need.

Forgive me if I get offensive here, please. I have seen on this
site/list/digest(s) many who are disturbed about the *uneducated* non-DMers;
such as the article in USA Today (2/22/00, D-1) refering to the *fact* that
it is
*better to take insulin in pills.* Then we hear someone say they *take sugar
pills* and get all excited about the *ignorance,* or *one candy bar away
from a coma.*

 Possibly this 5-year-old will grow up to be a journalist someday and write
about the medicine
(hopefully, that *used to be*) required for DM. Since every living person on
earth requires insulin, whether by natural pancreatic function or
subcutaneous delivery, it is not a medicine. It is a natural hormone. DMers
this hormone. If we are to educate the ignorant we should call facts
facts -- no matter the age of the *student.* He trusted his *mommy* and will
always believe insulin is a medicine. Even 5-year-olds who hear the word
Diabetes are capable of learning what insulin is. 8^)

Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)