[IP] Ice Pack - Mailbox Insulin

> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:44:45 EST
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Ice Pack?
> Got my insulin from MerckMedco in a padded envelope - foam.  No ice pack.
> Should I be concerned?  Holly

What part of the country are you in? What part of the country was the
insulin shipped from? My concerns are that it has been near 90*F in Texas.
Baggage compartments in airplanes are NOT temp controlled. In northern
Indiana last weekend we had an ice/snow storm. Insulin is to be refrigerated
(40*F) until opened, then may be at room temp for 30 days. My mailbox is NOT
refrigerator temp. Today it was 52*F outside -- 78*F inside the black
mailbox. My Humalog had no ice pack in it - no foam. Only a bubble wrap!!!
Coming from Texas (PCS Mail Service) at 90*F, then here with a storm (I
ordered last Thursday) in between, I have NO IDEA the temperature
my 4 vials of H went through. I was told (didn't ask - was TOLD) insulin
is never left at a doorstep -- it is ALWAYS signature required. Unh Uh!!!

Sorry, I think you may have a legitimate concern about the quality of your
insulin. If you use it and notice a rise in BGs, it may have deteriorated.
And it is NOT Lilly's fault.

If we all make a *stink* about this, maybe a change will be made as far as
temp.-controlled, life-sustaining prescriptions and how we access them. Even
as far as my 700
frozen strips go. My LIFE depends on the insulin (I guess the strips, too)
and I don't like this bass ackward system.

Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)