[IP] The Emotional Toll of CARING about control.....

    This was sent to me by Melanie, whose daughter was profiled on that TV
news segment in Boston...the one whose retort to testing in public was "she
tests when it's an emergency & it's ALWAYS an emergency if she feels the need
to test!!" Samantha was also one of the state representatives to JDF's
Children's Congress, so this is a motivated, responsible teenager we're
describing. How ironic that being diligent about one's diabetes care causes
"issues" that would be avoided by NOT being so concerned!!! GRRRRR... I felt
it was worth sharing this post with everyone at IP - not just Sammi....
Do you think you can get this email to "Sammi"?

Dear Sammi,

I can not thank you enough for sharing your experience with how other's
demoralize people struggling with diabetes.  My daughter, Sam, had a very
similar experience.  I will forward your description to her so she might
consider that insensitivity is not an attribute of "teachers" or
"Principals", but a foible of the ignorant.

Like you, she had nonchalantly tested in the cafeteria when she entered
Freshman year.  Like you, she was banished by school and DPH authorities who
cited OSHA regulations prohibiting body fluids from the dining area.  Like
you, she was loathe to go test in the nurses' office or teacher's lounge
because it veiled her self-care in shame.  As if this struggle isn't hard

I was particularly interested in your "reality check" on the absurd time loss
imposed on diabetics who have to run off somewhere to test.  It was
refreshing to hear a teacher's empathy for this dilemma!

Finally, I invite you to write an open letter to your collegues...across the
country!  Sam's teachers have no concept of how debilitating it is for her,
despite pumping and very, very tight control, to experience the metabolic
rollercoaster of a high period.  They do not grasp the cognitive clouding and
general malaise that accompanies a day running from over 500 to 45.  She
looks fine (though not to her chemistry teacher who reads her as looking
"washed out").  I swear they suspect her of malingering when she misses
school.  A letter from you to her English teacher would be a great help next
week when she recommends Sam stepping out of honors level!

Whatever you do, DON'T SHUT UP!!      The kids need you.