[IP] insurance questions- cobra, self-employment

I was just wondering... Does anybody here have cobra?  Where would I go to
find info on how to get it?  In October I turn 23 and will be off mom's
insurance until around Jan when I am done with school and employed...well,
actually those benefits wouldn't start for probably 90 days, would I be able
to qualify for cobra even if I'm not mom's dependent anymore?  Also, is
anyone here self-employed?  How does one get health insurance when they are
self-employed and have a pre-existing condition like DM?  I am thinking of
eventually going into business for myself, and coincidentally so is my
future husband, so I'm a bit worried about this.