[IP] Bloodsugar 500

Quick question, i promised my husband i'd ask. Yesterday we had a Christening
to go to which involved eating out. I calculated carbs. Matt had a HUGE bacon
cheddar cheeseburger and fries. Anyhow to make a long story short. Matt ended
up being
500!  Yikes. He hasn't had that high of bloodsugar since first on MDI!  I
immediately changed the set and gave and injection of Humalog. After one
hour, no change! I was worried to give another correction, didn't want him to
crash. He finally started to come down.........slowly...........my question
is this. Is there an immediate danger in a bloodsugar that high?  Matt was
exhausted, for no reason, and immediately fell asleep!  I was a bit nervous
about the high number.  I know a continous high  bloodsugar is no good, but
how long is long?  At 12:30am Matt was finally in the 200's and then in the
middle of night, finally in range, and has been great all day. Let me know
what anyone thinks. Thanks, from Matt's dad!