[IP] Dawn Phenomenon

> Charisma wrote:
>  My son, if he gets up earlier, has
> lower bg's.  Later in the am, say 9 a.m. (we homeschool) he is higher.
> the best bg's he'd have to get up at about 5:30 am.
> Does this sound as if it might have ANYTHING to do with your bloods?
> Charisma :)

> Yes, that's pretty much how it used to be except that my sugars were never
> really "bad" until very late in the morning. I'd wake up at say 8am with a
> bg of 90. If I didn't eat my sugar would be 150 at noon. It was my
> understanding that the dawn phenomenon caused high sugars at wake up time.
> It's weird.
> David

The above posts are why it's so great to be able to set different basal
rates to comply with the *hits" of consistent high BGs for an individual.
>From midnight to 6:30 a.m. I run .04; from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. I run 1.7;
the rest of the day my basal is set at .07. The MiniMed 507c (named Pumpkin)
delivers a tenth of a unit as appropriate during the hour. I can sleep in
and it makes no difference. As always, YMMV. Some may have a Dawn Phenomenon
at a different time (perhaps time zones interfere? ;) )
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)