Re: [IP] in teachers' shoes/ kinda long!

email @ redacted wrote:

> OLE, PLEASE, DO you really feel that parents have not tried in VAIN TO
> EDUCATE THE EDUCATORS, yet they are very very slow and/or just don't care.

	While I agree that it is difficult to get some educators to understand
things, and that they may seem reluctant to be a part of somethings they
may be unsure of and uncomfortable with.  And while I do agree that ALL
PARENTS ARE TEACHERS, I must say that unless you are in a overcrowded,
lawsuit friendly classroom day in and day out... you do not know what it
is REALLY like to be an educator today.
	We, diabetics and parents of diabetics will tell people that unless
they walk a mile in our shoes, they really do not know what it is like
to be diabetic.  My daughter is diabetic, but I am not... I will never
truly know what it feels like to be diabetic.  Nor would I presume to
say that I understand it.  IT IS THE SAME THING WITH BEING A TEACHER.
Unless you sit in a classroom day in and day out, you truly cannot
understand what it is like to be an educator today.  The fear of
lawsuits is so prevalent, that we are stuck fearing our own actions.
Can you blame someone for being uncertain about giving someone and
injection?  Educators are told, don't touch a student, you might be
sued, insert this catheter or you will be sued.  Educators are in a
catch-22 about the safety and care of students.
	I teach High School, and I must say that I would be more than happy to
learn a life-saving technique, such as giving glucagon (its a good thing
I already know how! ;-) ), but I would be extremely nervous and
uncomfortable to deal with a catheter, or take time from my class to
change a diaper.  I agree that every student deserves an equal
education.  Teachers are forced to teach an overwhelming number of
state, federal and local standards.  This causes teachers to compact
their lesson plans so that they do not get yelled at for not covering
the material expected.  Teachers are pulled in too many directions...
you can't get angry at them... instead , we as parents, must make the
time to sit down with each and every one of them to show them how much
you appreciate them, and how important these things are to our
children's health.  Let them ask questions if they have them... they
might surprise you if you praise their efforts first!
	Sorry this is so long!  I love being a teacher, though it is
exceptionally overwhelming at times.  I have had parents contact me
about personal, or health problems of their student, and I am more than
willing to listen.  It is nice when they prefice their converstaions
with me by saying that their student loves my class.  Being really nice
goes a long way...

Just my .02 worth,

Carrie, H.S. Teacher, Mom and Teacher to Caitlyn, dx'd 20 mo, five Y.O
on Sunday!