Re: [IP] high fat/protein??

Steve, your nutritionist needs to go back to school and pay more attention
this time.  He/she also needs to learn never to say never.   Amino acids
(Protein) can be converted to glucose, but how much is quite variable as it
depends on many factors.  For most people the range is anywhere from 10 to
50% by weight of protein coverted to sugar. That means that for each oz of
protein (28 g), you need to bolus for 3 to 14 g of glucose.  EVeryone has
to figure where on this scale they live.  But this coversion is also much
slower than just eating carbs, so you've got to wait an hour or 2 before
   sjw, not all energy comes from glucose.  Energy can also come from fatty
acids.  Fats do slow down the absorbtion of carbs, but in addition, they
also increase the insulin needs severeal hours later.  This for reasons
that I've never seen adequately explained, but it is a very very common

<<<<<<<<<<ALL food which turns into energy has to become sugar in order to
be used by the body.   Fat and protein eventually break down and
hit much later (at least what we've been told) - I forget the
formula..but I can tell you that fat and protein dramatically delay
the absorbtion of CHO - if Allie eats, for example, a string cheese
stick before bed (which your nutritionist says would have no effect),
her bgs are much less variable overnight, as the fat and protein of
the cheese delays the peak of the snack carbs...

  My nutritionist
> has repeatedly said that fat and protein do NOT affect the BG in any way
> whatsoever.  I have always found that to be a crock, but then,  I never
> went to school for this!
Steve Winer - Dad to Allie>>>>>>>>>>>>>