[IP] Low night bgs...WAS Somogyi Effect

I think that the reason why we sometimes sleep through bgs and sometimes
have seizures would depend on how fast our bg is dropping and how low it is
dropping. If it is dropping at a slower steady rate then our body has time
to react by doing the hormone thing and giving the liver a kick to produce
glucagon. IF our bg is dropping quickly and going very low, the body's
ability to react as quickly as we are dropping just does not happen. Instead
our brain and muscles don't have enough fuel (sugar) to function properly
and things start shutting down. Just the areas of the brain that control our
most needed life sustaining functions remain working. The seizures in the
muscles, I believe are because of the lack of fuel in our blood that is
being pumped to them, so they start to cough and spurt. This may not be
correct, but this is the way I understand it......Carolyn