[IP] unused insulin rule???

Another question
what is the  "unused insulin rule?"
I think I can guess from the context but better safe than sorry!

And, how DO I correct when I am allowed no lattitude in his insulin
dosing(no sliding scales)?  Should I try it out as the endo's program
has NEVER worked and I'm going to have to anyways for the pump?  Any
suggestions how to impliment this?
Charisma :)