[IP] Anthony's first day pumping

Well at 6:30 am today Anthony was also assimilated into the
collective....he's also a Star Trek fan.  His designation is 4 of 4....he's
the youngest in a family of four :)  Hasn't named his pump yet....he has to
think about that one.

I just had to comment on the thread about children and schools.  We've had
an ongoing battle with our school district, Los Angeles Unified regarding
several issues including keeping Anthony at his neighborhood school instead
of them bussing him off to a school with a full time nurse.  Our battle has
resulted in me working at the computer lab of his school for 4 hours a day
in order for him to remain there.  We're also pushing for testing in the
classroom in a district that will not allow it.....because it's not in the
best interest of the child....hog wash!

Well today was not only Anthony's first day pumping, but his CDE has also
become our advocate.  She is dedicating herself to finally put an end to
these injustices the school district is inflicting on our children.  Up
until now she never had a set of parents who were willing to fight....but
now she's found one.  She spoke to the district doctor today who has been
assigned to research pumping and help the district write their
protocol.  Turns out this doctor doesn't know a thing about pumps, and has
had very little experience in treating diabetes, let alone children with
diabetes, which is a whole different animal in itself.

Our CDE has offered her services to the district to sit on their advisory
board for diabetes policy and protocol.  She's offered to give in-service
training to the school nurses, and also be readily available to answer pump
and diabetes related questions from nursing personnel.  She's also going to
be attending our 504 meeting with the district doctor, as well as bring a
representative from MM and also including our ped endo.  She is outraged to
find the district is relying on doctors who are not qualified in the field
of diabetes to be making such important decisions for our children.

How do we go about qualifying someone for sainthood?

mother of Anthony, 11, dx. 9-22-95.....Finally pumping!