[IP] Mindset - Insulin =hormone not meds

In a message dated 2/17/00 1:59:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  Lily was at one point up to 80 - 90 units a day
 with 1 unit per 11 grams of carb.

I guess the hardest thing for me dealing w/ diabetes and Kap is - the basic
concept of giving insulin.  Words like dosage is a constant reminder to me
that insulin is a medication.  Yet, it is a hormone that the body naturally
produces (or it should).
As a parent, it is hard for ME not to feel like I am over medicating my child
by telling him to bolus X amount of insulin.  I am always FEARFUL he will
have seizures or pass out as a result of my instructions (giving medication)
And you know the guilt I feel when I have error on the safe side and he has
high bgs- (realizing it is a natural hormone produced by the body)
When will this mindset change.  It has been almost 2 years.  You would think
by now, I would feel conformable with giving insulin as a hormone supplement
that it is and not medication.
Ole my, I hope I have a mind set change soon, before puberty sets in!  Is
there someway, he can by pass puberty and go straight to adult for his mom's
Thanks for Listening!
Darlene - Mom to Kap - age 9 pumper