Re: [IP] Problems in the classroom

I'm becoming a teacher, I graduate in May.  I also have had diabetes for the
past 12years.  I feel very strongly about children not having to leave the
classroom to test their blood sugar.  If the school officials feel that the
children need to be present in front of the nurse than have the nurse come to
the classroom and test the child's blood sugar.  This way the school has
control, but so doesn't the child over their education.  The child will be in
the classroom to hear what is going on without missing any information.
    I'm majoring in Elementary Ed and specializing moderate special needs.
And what I have been taught is that all students are entitled to and should
be in the least restrictive environment.  And this would mean that students
remain in the classroom while testing their blood sugar.  Even if the child
has a special place in the classroom to test out of the way in the back of
the room is better than leaving the classroom altogether.
    A week ago this past Monday, Newscenter 5 in Boston, Massachusetts had a
report on this very topic.  Showing two different children, one an eleven
year old testing his BS at his desk while the teacher was still teaching and
a 15 yr. old that is on the pump.  The 15 yr. old is told that she can test
in the classroom only in an emergency.  Which she went on and said every time
is an emergency because she needs to know if she is high or low so she can do
something about it and help prevent any complications in the future.  It was
a great segment.
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents, especially from an educators
perspective.  I want to go around schools to educate faculty on diabetes
because there are so many children with living it.  The more knowledge
everyone knows the better off everyone is.