Re: [IP] Problems in the classroom

If a child needs help to do a bg test/bolus, then by all means, this in not
the teacher's responsiblity.  However, if the child is independent in
testing their bg/bolusing, I see as much logic in making them leave the
room as if they had to leave the room everytime they had to blow their
nose.  If they are not responsible enough to be make decisions on how to
bolus or use their testing supplies inapproprately, then that is a
different story.

This week I was talking about how parents are forced to be the "bad guys"
to fight for their children's rights in the school setting.  And while
these parents are not the easiest to deal with at times, that they do have
their child's best interest in mind.  (A different group are parents that
do not have the child's best interest in mind, but that is another story.)
A team effort is necessary.  While getting the school to do what is best
for the child is difficult, there are still many benifits (I feel) from
recieving an education from some sort of school (public, private,
montosory, or whatever).  Many social skills are learned.  Your child by
simply being there teaches other children about diabetes, and maybe when
the time comes, they won't be as ignorant as so many people we face.  In
high school I had one bad experience with a teacher (who personally didn't
like me... the teacher was suspended several times for various reasons but
they never could fire her due to her tenure).  I was seen drinking a juice
box in the hall between classes.  I was low.  This was in violation of our
'open containers in the hall' policy.  Another student two lockers down was
drinking out of a Coke can, but she liked him and not me.  I got a lecture
about breaking the rule even after explaining I was low and didn't want to
walk down a flight of stairs and across the school to get to my next class.
 I refused to throw out my drink box until I finished.  She was screaming
at me, and after a minute or two I was screaming (and crying) at her (when
I'm low I'm not exactly emotionally stable).  Other students realized what
was happening, and stopped to help me.  Unfortunately diabetes is very
prevelant, so just about everyone has a basic understanding.  As I got
taken to the office, 6 students followed me and another one went to get
another teacher to intercede on my behalf (another rule is you can't
question another teacher in front of a student, so the student went to go
get a teacher who "needed to talk to me immediately" so I would be taken
out of the situation).  Only one of these students was a 'friend' of mine.
The incident only ended when the other teacher came in to "talk to me
immediately".  None of the students who came to my aid were marked tardy
for their class (and all of us were late).  Several students came up to me
an appologized for the behavior of the teacher.  More said they were mad at
her (which was always the case).  The other teachers repeatedly asked if I
was okay (but didn't want to break the "don't condradict another teacher"
rule).  Although ultimately it was a teacher who came to my rescue, I know
that I would not have made it out of that situation nearly as well as I did
if it had not been for the other students coming to my aid.  Just about the
whole school heard about this, and I hope that someday, one of my
classmates will be able to once again stand up and help someone in a
similar situation.  Had not so many of the students learned about diabetes
before hand, I don't know if they would have helped.  I definately needed
the help, I was not rational, and the stress of it was causing me to drop
lower (it was a can of Coke later before I was okay... and it wasn't a bad
low to start with!).