Re: [IP] auto-immune and heredity (Betty)

> -------- ----- Betty wrote:
> My doctors feel like my diabetes (type 1) was caused by an attack on
> my immune system rather than hereditary.  (eleven brothers and
> sisters and none of them have it!)  This makes sense given the other
> auto-immune problems I have: hypothyroidism and rheumatoid
> arthritis.  Anyone else have a similar story?  I haven't met anyone.

Researchers believe heredity is a factor predisposing a person to be
able to get diabetes and that it is triggered by an as yet unknown
disease agent that cause the body to attack itself
(inappropriate autoimmune response). Beyond that, there is nothing
more recent that I'm aware of. This more or less agrees with what
your doc said.