[IP] Excellent sermonizing

-----Original Message-----
From:	insulin-pumpers-digest [SMTP:email @ redacted]
Sent:	Thursday, February 17, 2000 5:00 AM
To:	email @ redacted
Subject:	insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #930

Thanks, Randall!!  You said it so well, as usual.  Here!  Here!
Bonnie Richardson

Randall wrote the following:

But the problem is when the school districts just won't hire the necessary
help... sometimes they are more interested in spending the money on
important things like a new surface for the baseball field, an assistant for
the substitute for the basketball coach,  or a new car for the
Superintendant...  As the parent of a child with a disability that requires he
be closely supervised I have many concerns about whether or not the school
system will treat him properly.  As parents we are caught in a bind - the
school system will quite happily tell us to quit our jobs to volunteer full
time in the school and then also be quick to tell us that we "aren't providing
for our children" because they are the only kid in the class without new
Nike's for Toddlers ($85 a pair and they aren't very good quality to boot!)
Our society is such that parents are forced to work long hours to maintain
the economic boom and then castigated because they aren't spending time
with their kids... and we wonder why kids grow up confused?  It's because
as a group we are comprimised in our priorities and values - and have
decided to abandon our core values in order to sacrifice on the altar of
Wall Street...

And we make increasing demands on everyone, including school teachers.
Like everyone else they are being pressed on every side - with the school
boards wanting to increase "productivity" (measured in how many students
each teacher can handle) while decreasing costs (no more training, supplies
or help)...  while the management at the top draws ever bigger salaries and
expense accounts with bonuses that exceed several times what their
employees make...  Too bad we can't force our legislators into the
classrooms or the administrators into helping with the jobs like changing the
diapers or helping a child with a severe disability just make it through the
day... of course in my mind it would be better if they could change places
with the child for a year or two...  but when it comes to "playing God" I'm
in marketing, not administration (and we all should be glad of that!)

All too often the people who advocate "cost cutting at any price" are the
same ones who espouse "family values"... but don't see the conflict when
they end up sounding like Ann Landers and her advocacy of trash like "none
but the perfect Master Race should be seen in public"

Oh well, I'm almost in sermonizing gear now... and the site I changed out
today in my side is hurting where the IV3000 irritated the skin... and I'm
tired, and like many of us I'm just tired of the endless finger sticks,
bolusing, calculating and attempting to keep things going...  so I'm going to
go rock my smallest son to sleep and see if I can get some sleep too after I
do the bedtime bg ritual...
Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)