RE: [IP] Problems in the classroom

>sadly most of the time teachers today have to
>be counselors and "baby sitters".

I actually have to agree with Ginny on this one.  Schools have changed a lot
since I was in them and I am only 23.  However, I think it is unfair to send
a child to a nurses office when the child knows more about their care then
the school nurse.  If the child can test their own blood sugar, and knows
how to correct their blood sugars with the correct amount of food or
insulin.  If they know how to bolus or take an injection by themselves, then
they should be allowed to stay in the classroom.  The teacher wouldn't need
to be involved.

The teacher should know how to treat/look out for a severe low and know that
if the child needs a drink of water or to use the bathroom that they
probably have a good reason.

However, if the child needs help testing their blood sugar, needs help
figuring out boluses/corrections/amount of insulin to inject, and or
injecting itself, then they should have to go to the nurses office, or have
a trained person on hand to do it.

Before being flamed here are my reasons, first as Ginny states this would be
asking the teacher to be a health care provider.  The liability of it could
also end up being very expensive to her and the school.  At my endo's office
yesterday morning a gentleman came in who had forgotten to take his morning
insulin before coming to see the doctor.  He had grabbed breakfast on the
way and was worried about what his blood sugars would do.  The nurse on
staff told him that she wasn't allowed to administer insulin without the CDE
or Doctor's orders.  When the CDE came in 10 minutes later she handed the
man a syringe and the vials of insulin he needed and told him that he would
have to do everything himself.  Not an issue since I am sure this older
gentleman had always done everything himself.  However, it struck me that
the nurses couldn't give him the injection that he had to.  When I asked the
first nurse about it she said that it was a liability thing.  So I question
if a nurse in an endo's office couldn't draw and give a gentleman an
injection because of liability why should we believe a teacher could give a
child an injection.

One more thing I wanted to added was this. I was diagnosed at age 4.  I was
injecting myself at age 5 and knew all my doses and was drawing everything
up on my own at age 6.  This means with what I stated above, I would have
had to walk to the nurses office only during kindergarten.  Which was only
half a day when I went to school.

-- Sherry