Re: [IP] Problems in the classroom

    As a former high school teacher, I have no wish to see the already
overloaded teachers' role expanded to that of "nurse". On the contrary - my
concerns focus solely on those teachers who would dictate to our children
with diabetes that they are "not allowed" to do what's needed to attend to
their self-care. Any child who is responsible & competently managing his/her
own diabetes care at school is probably more responsible than many adults!
Considering the wide range of potentially harmful objects in a school
classroom ( scissors, compass, pencils, etc), to single out the "dangers" of
"blood-borne pathogens" from a lancet is absurd. Not to mention, judging by
comments previously posted here, if most pumpers change their lancets as
infrequently as my daughter does, there's no likelihood of "loose lancets"
being used as weapons!
Regards, Renee (melissa's pump-mom)