Re: [IP] Re: professor's request not to care for DM in class

In a message dated 2/16/00 11:53:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< An option to consider as the professor does not seem to be enlightened on
 necessities of 24/7 diabetes care. >>
    I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head here. We can all rant
& rave about these collective "horror stories", but the reality is that when
even some endos aren't enlightened on why the old "2 shot a day, check your
bgs once or twice" method is as outmoded as carbon paper ,then why should we
expect the general populace to appreciate why SOME ( but sadly not most)
diabetics choose to be checking their blood sugar on an "as needed" basis? As
long as our children's health is being held "hostage" by "authority figures"
whose diabetes expertise is based upon their great-aunt Sadie ( or their
dog!) who has diabetes, then nothing can change. Our collective fury over the
status-quo would be much better expended by what I refer to as
"reaching/teaching/preaching" ....NOT Diabetes 101, but the revised Diabetes
202 ( or is that 303 by now???) ...The more people we can educate, the
greater the rewards for everyone. Four years ago, when she was in 7th grade,
Melissa was the only one at her school with an insulin pump- now the 2 middle
school teachers are pumpers, as are the other 2 students in 9th grade...and
the only other one, a 5th grader is getting one shortly.....yup, that will be
6 diabetics and 6 pumps!!! Pretty amazing! And the older brother of the 5th
grader approached Melissa one day & asked her if she'd mind if he asked her
some questions about her pump because his little brother was getting one!
Talk about "spreading the word"!!! They may not understand the mechanics of
insulin pump therapy, but with so much "exposure", the other students in her
school are at least more cognizant of alternatives to injections.

Regards, Renee ( Melissa's pump-mom)