Re [IP] auto-immune problems

The newest terminology for Juvenile onset, aka insulin-dependent, aka Type I
Diabetes is immune-mediated Diabetes Mellitus.  I believe one inherits the
tendency to get it, but doesn't get it until an auto-immune attack on the
beta cells is triggered--usually by a virus.  This explains why so many
people are diagnosed with Type I in the wintertime.
In short, it's not an either heredity or auto-immune situation.  There's a
little of both involved.