RE: [IP] Problems with Glucometers in the classromm

I thought I should give everybody an update about my meeting with the school
today. After the principal discussed it with the teacher they decided that
Lucas could do his testing in the room,' but' (you kind of knew there would
be one of them). Lucas had to keep his "stuff" locked up in a cabinet I
explained to them that we were not going to lock stuff up because there was
no reason to. The worst thing he has is his arsenal is his lancet, and one
pock with that and none of the kids will play with it again. The only other
thing is his glucose tablets and I'm sure that is considered a non addictive
item.

After some discussion it was decided that Lucas will start doing his
monitoring in the classroom starting tomorrow morning. He will have a little
place in the back where he can do it so that he doesn't do it at his desk,
"but" ( you knew I would have one of them too didn't ya) that is next on my
list.

I did offer to come in and teach the class and the teachers about diabetes
so that they could understand how Lucas manages it. I think after a lesson
in D management and pump therapy Lucas will be doing everything at his desk
with the support of the teaching staff. He can teach them all a little about
carb counting and the glycemic index.

I also think the office staff was happy to see it happen, because basically
he tells them what needs to be done. I know he is looking forward to it. The
only part he didn't like was that he doesn't get to stroll to the office
several times per day... Who knows maybe he will  have time to get all of
his work done before he comes home and will have free time to play everyday
after school instead of sitting there all night doing homework.

Thanks for all of the input from everybody, it defiantly got me ready for a
battle.

Pete