[IP] Problems with Glucometers in the classroom

Nancy suggested:
 Why don't you, the experienced parent, go to the
superintendent and ask if you could talk about diabetes and the pump,
testing, eating, and/or all of your concerns to the teachers during an
inservice day that the teachers have each year?  At that time why don't you
ask the teachers if you could take a little time at the beginning of the
and talk to the class about the same issues.  If your child is going to be
the same school for X amount of years why not educate the educators about
this life-threatening disease?  I believe the reason for not wanting a child
to do this testing, etc., is ignorance.  TEACH THEM!

When I was working in a catholic school, we had a sixth grader dxed early in
the school year.  And the child was in my youngest son's class.  He wanted
to keep it a secret from the class and his friends.  The parents were trying
to let him get a handle on it (we all know the need).  He passed out one day
and was taken away in an ambulance. My son came home saying his friend had
acted like I did when low -then passed out seconds later. The science
teacher knew I was a diabetic.  We talked to the parents and, with their
approval, I taught the science class how injections of insulin helped the
body  function.  We tied it to the section on the endocrine system in their
text book.  All the students did blood test on themselves (we got parental
signatures first).  I talked about what it was like to measure food, test
often, and inject MDI.  I even demonstrated a reaction (unplanned, but
effective) and how to correct for it.  We talked about symptoms of low
sugar.   My son explained what he looked for.  One of the students, a good
friend of the new diabetic, turned to the diabetic student and asked - is
this what you do everyday?  When he replied yes, the class was very vocal.
They told him they thought he was great, brave, and obviously had to be good
in math.  I was glad for the chance to teach the students, and so proud that
their immediate response was acceptance and respect.

If the kids can do it - so can the teachers.  Nancy is right...take the time
to teach them.  Maybe the local ADA can provide training or speakers for the
school systems in the area.  Wouldn't this be a great national project?