Subject: [IP] Newbie with specific questions

My name is Charimsa . I have a 6 yr old son, Paddy.  he was dx April 20,
1998. ...

<<#1 How would this month of waiting be best used?  ...>>

I think that you are on the right track.  Read this website.  Get the videos
from both Minimed and Disetronic and watch them.  Be sure that you can count
carbohydrates, and keep a food diary of all his meals and snacks with the
carbs listed to take to the visit.  Check sugars at least 4 times a day and
keep records.  I find that if you are very organized, especially with record
keeping, it makes the pump a lot easier to figure out.  And, if your
eyesight permits, get a copy of John Walsh's book called Pumping Insulin and
read it, too.

<<#2 any negative elements I should be aware of now so I won't be shocked?>>

The first month, when you are figuring out basal rates and boluses, is very
hard.  It is hard to wake up several times per night to check blood sugars,
but you have to do it.  Blood sugars are often worse before they're better.
Think about who is going to count carbohydrates, do his boluses, etc. at

<<#3  any supplies I can lay in to make it a more pleasant transition>>

See #1 above.  Both company's videos show kids with the pump, though the
movies are not really aimed at the child, rather the parent.   Lots of test
strips - you'll need them.  And a few previously forbidden food treats,
because the pump makes it so that he can eat them (and that pleasure carries
many a child and adult through the difficulty of getting started)

<<#4 any stories you'd like to share about your child's worst
fear/experience? >>

Jenna hasn't had any pump fears.  Worst experience is when a site hurt, and
I didn't believe her.  The infusion sites don't hurt when they're in right.
If they do hurt, take them out, and do another one.

<<#5  any especially profound moments or lessons YOU have learned...>>

So many of those lessons, I can't list them all in one place.  But as you
encounter them, the good folks of this list will tell you what they know
from experience.

Charisma :)