[IP] Disturbing news report

Our local TV today gave a report that diabetics need not get their eyes
checked yearly. The minimum requirement is now every two years. Their
reasoning: *IF* BGs and BP are in good control, yearly visits are a waste of
time. Since we know that the majority of DMers are Type 2s and probably a
good share of them take their *sugar pills* and eat on their merry way and
don't bother checking their blood pressures, I fear that many will take that
report to heart and save some money. When they begin to lose their sight,
then panic will set in. I feel that was very irresponsible reporting. I know
far too many older adult-onset diabetics who are very comfortable with well
over 200 BGs consistently.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)