Re: [IP] treatment b4 1950

RoseLea wrote:

> Roger wrote:
>
> >>Amy I was born in 45 and dx in 47. My brother dx in 36. In the 20's-40's
> they
> did not have anything to check bg In the 50's we used clinitest till the
> test
> tape came out. <<
>
> I was diagnosed in 1963 and used the clinitest tablets with the test tube.
> As I recall, you put 10 drops of urine with 10 drops of water in the test
> tube and dropped in a test tablet.  Depending on the color, blue was
> negative and bright orange was 4+, you were supposed to know how much sugar
> was in your urine.  I always knew this type of testing was very unreliable,
> and my doctor at the time also agreed, that you could test negative and have
> high sugar in your blood (because it hadn't gotten to your unrine yet) and
> you could have low blood sugar and test 4+ since the sugar was still in your
> urine.  Very unreliable testing as far as I was concerned and I didn't do
> too much of it, except when I was pregnant in 1978 (yes still used those old
> clinitest tabs then).  I didn't get my first meter until sometime in the
> 80's.
>
> As far as injections, I remember them very well.  Gigantic needles with
> glass syringes that you had to boil before every use.  And, you used the
> needles over and over until they became dull.  I was so glad when disposable
> syringes came out.
>
> RoseLea
> Type 1 for 37 years

RoseLea,
I was diagnosed in 1963 and I remember having to sharpen the needles and
boil the glass syringes!  Seems like a lifetime ago...it was.  Testing
urine with the tablets always worked well for me with 2 drops of urine
to 13 drops of water.  I was good at cheating.  I liked the color blue.
Nice to hear someone elses experience before technology came along.
Virginia
Type I for 37 years.  Pumping for 3 1/2 months.