Re: [IP] treatment b4 1950

email @ redacted wrote:
> I was born in 43 didn't get D until 65, however my Grandma had it.  She was diagnosed right after the discovery of insulin.  I never knew her as she was gone long befor I got here.  I remember my parents talking about it before I got it. Of course, after I got it no one said much.  I don't think she lived even 15 years with it.

One of my earliest childhood memories (age 3 or 4) is watching my
grandmother give herself a shot in her leg. I remember that she wore
stocking with garters, and she just pulled up her dress, pulled down her
garter and threw it like a dart.

I also remember her boiling the syringe, and I remember the black
bakelite case she kept it in.

At that time, I was under the impression that everyone's grandmother
took shots and spoke English with a thick accent. For that reason, I
associate insulin with old age!

Needless to say, I've since learned differently!!

One of my fantasies about dying and going to heaven is the opportunity
to talk with my grandma about what diabetes was like for her!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted