Re: [IP] darn meter reliability problems

Be sure you are holding the meter level (like on a flat desk or table) when

When I told my health care team I was using the Advantage (the "older"
model, not the "new" one, with the funky blue / white color), the first
thing they asked was "are you holding the Advantage level when you check?"

Turns out they had a young girl who went into DKA. There was no prior
indication (according to patient, BGs were always "normal", etc.). As part
of the troubleshooting, they checked her meter averages, and the numbers
were not out of the normal range. When they asked her to demonstrate her
testing technique, she raised the meter at an angle to the drop of blood on
her finger. The resulting BG reading was markedly different than when they
repeated the test with the meter on a table top (as in "normal" vs. "out of
healthy range"). Since then, they have been re educating all their patients
who use the Advantage, to make sure their technique is good.

I noticed with the new Advantage meters, they specifically state in the
literature that you can hold the meter at an angle when testing.

Just a thought, not trying to start a meter war :-)

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted