[IP] Which pump

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 "Laura Lillie" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Depending on how sensitive you are to insulin, you can have the Disetronic
> programmed with bolus increments as low as .1 . .....
> Laura

The Minimed pump is set from factory to work in .1 unit increments for both
bolus and basal rates.  I don't know of too many people who need finer
countrol than this (I imagine very small kids might) but at lower rates would
probably have to dilute for either pump.

The Minimed pump also permits temporary bolus settings with .1 unit accuracy
as well as square and dual wave bolus settings with same.

I imagine that a short term (once in green moon) fix with Minimed in order to
get .05 units/hour basal feed would be to set a .1 unit feed over two hours
(or equivelent rates and times to achieve whatever is needed).

As for diluting insulin there have been some posts on this in past.  Basically
one needs to get the specific diluent for the specific insulin they use.  The
diluent is provided free of charge from the insulin manufacturers but due to
the price they don't seem really happy or eager to send out.

Yerachmiel Altman
who diluted insulin his first year in order to program his AutoSyringe pump
which had one hard-wired built in basal rate (and so diluting insulin was ONLY
way to acheive a basal).  ((Also note that this limited one to ONE basal rate
over 24 hours unless one were to change infusion sets more than once a day)).

 This message sent to you from the desk of
  Yerachmiel Bruchya haLevi Altman's computer.