From: Andrew Aronoff [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 2:53 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Snapped cannulas

On Sunday Feb 13, 22:49, Linda Culumovic wrote:

 >Question is, has anyone had this problem with so many bent canulas?
 >Any ideas? We are getting pretty discouraged here, its only been three
 >weeks!

I've also been on the Minimed 507C for three weeks now, using Soft-set
Ultimate QR's (the only kind the French insurance system makes available to
me), and have already seen 2 "snapped" (badly bent or broken) cannulas. One
of them led to a severely irritated site that no longer diffused insulin
correctly. Both had snapped in precisely the same location--just about
mid-way along their length. I'm now limiting infusion set insertion time to
three days and inserting uniquely via the Sof-serter to see if I have
better results, but I'm _very_ disappointed by this problem. It seems to me
that cannulas could be designed so that they deform without _ever_ breaking
or blocking flow. The broken ends irritate the skin, which invites
infection. The infection then alters the insulin absorption. This is
certainly a phenomenon to be avoided.

With numerous people on this list noticing snapped cannulas, I'm wondering
how Minimed ever got the Sof-Set Ultimate QR approved. And if their trials
_didn't_ reveal such incidents, then has a problem occurred in production?

regards, Andy